Aug 23, 2011

Arab Platter - c. 19th Century Intricate Decoration on Copper Persian Ottoman Hunting Tray Signed By Artist and Metalsmith; Hunting Scene, Falcons, Lions, Ruins, Dogs, Maiden Bathing, Men on Horse with Bows & Arrows, Swords; Arab Script Surrounding Hunting Scene; All Hand Engraved or Hammered Design; Scene of Maiden Bathing

I know nothing of this large intricately decorated copper silver or tin Persian Ottoman hunting tray platter. I found this at local Salvation Army and I bought it because I like the hunt scene and beautiful Arab writing and also because it was reasonable. It is hand engraved with what looks like a silver or tin gilding. I wish I knew what it said. Maybe someone that can read Arabic could translate for me. My email address is robtnar@gmail.com. the best thing is to cut and past in your mail system.I have not figured out how to set this blog to accept comments.  I think there is some kind of problem that will not let readers post a comment.I have a problem with people leaving comments. It will not accept writing a comment I don't know why this is. It measures 23 1/3" across and I believe there is some kind of stand that these platter rest on. It is not bronze, but copper and is very heavy.  At the end of these images is the hallmark I found on it.



In this scene below they seem to be corralling the hunted animals.



In this scene below looks like he is giving chase


Looks like a hyena in the tray below


A maiden getting a bath, someone pouring water over her


Looks like a lion being speared



Here we have the hunter with falcons



Nice little dog running along side horseman


Nice scene


Intricate medallion, very skilled engraver


Beautiful Arab writing and border


Closeup of archer on horse


Close up


Edge of tray



Closeup of edge


Arab calligraphy


Closeup of hunt and hyena


More closeup


Good scene in marsh like area


Detail of medallion and many closeup of tray











What tray looks like






Below are the two hallmarks that are on the back of platter. I believe you can double click on photo to enlarge it. 





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have a very similar table im curious about as well

Hi, I'm Amanda said...

Hi, I have a similar tray with a similar hunting scene but a different inscription on the back. Have you found anything out about this?

Hi, I'm Amanda said...

Hi, I've got a similar tray with a hunting scene but a different inscription on the back. Have you found out anything about this?

Thanks,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

I haven't found anything about it, it's oddly obscure. Can you let me know if you find any information?