Aug 9, 2011

8th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, KIA, Company A, Bucyrus, Ohio Native, Spanish American War, Ebbie Bland, Co. A, 8th Ohio Photograph, Killed in Action on August 11, 1898, Sibony, Cuba

I found this in a little antique shop in Havana Florida a number of years ago. Shows a group of soldiers in front of a tent. The only thing I had to go on was the name written at top of photo. One day I was looking at it with my loupe and found that I could read the stencil that was placed on the tent. I could make out Cleveland, Illinois. When I did a search for Ebbie and Ohio it sent me to a page at the Spanish American War Website. From there I was able to find information that there was a Ebbie from 8th Ohio that was killed in action.None of the other soldiers are identified, but I am sure some one one day will be able to identify others of the group. Here is the cabinet size photograph:

No comments: