Aug 9, 2011

c. 1876 Rare Societa Ceramica Richard Porcelain Plate Great Seal of The United States

c. 1876 Rare Societa Ceramica Richard Porcelain Plate Commemorating with the Great Seal of The United States the 1776 Signing of Declaration of Independence; Rare Process of Stone Transfer Lithography by Exclusive Italian Porcelain Company

This is a stunning plate by a renowned Italian porcelain company Societa Ceramica Richard of Milano, Italy. Who ordered these and for what purpose we can only speculate. Maybe they were ordered by the chargé d'affaires for a special dinner or celebration, we will never know. The quality is just superb so I will post many photos for your enjoyment.

I found these at a small auction house, that before it grew into an international stature, was a well kept local secret for a year. When I saw them listed with a high inventory number I knew they would not be brought to the floor until very late. I would have to wait until almost midnight to bid on them. By the time they came up, there were only about handful of people present and I being the only interested party.

From the moment I saw them, what struck me was the quality and color of the Great Seal. It is as if stone lithography was used to press the image. It truly was a lucky find for I have never again come across these type of plates. The porcelain used for the white plate is almost feather light in quality, but hard to the touch. I will try to find more information on these plates and will post it in the future.

Please email me at robtnar@gmail.com if you have any question or know of where I can find more of these.


No comments: